LG Inform Plus
open left menu LG Inform Plus open top menu

Community Services list

16 to 19 bursary fund (1614) Service

Those aged between 16 and 19 years who think they might struggle with the costs for full-time education or training, may be eligible for a bursary.

Abandoned bicycles (1512) Service

Bicycles which appear to have been abandoned in public areas, including designated cycle parking, may be removed. In most cases bicycles are kept for some time after removal so that owners can reclaim them.

Abandoned shopping trolleys (1152) Service

Abandoned shopping trolleys have a negative impact on the quality of the local environment and can be hazardous to pedestrians, cyclists and road users. Local Authorities are permitted to seize, store and dispose of abandoned shopping trolleys within their area.

Abandoned vehicles (372) Service

The local council will deal with any vehicles reported as abandoned on local roads or property (usually including private property). The vehicle will be removed.

Abnormal load notification (785) Service

A haulier who intend to move an abnormal load such as gross weight exceeding 40 tonnes or more must notify and gain consent from the police or the local authority..

Accessibility of local facilities (1466) Service

Information on the accessibility of spaces and buildings available to the public such as shops, theatres, leisure centres, parks, transport facilties etc. in the local area In the UK this information is often provided in conjunction with DisabledGo.

Accessibility of Web sites (853) Service

The local authority is expected to provide information via its web site in a way which is accessible to all citizens and to advise citizens of the steps it has taken to meet the required government standards on accessibility

Accident reporting (429) Service

Employers have a duty to report certain dangerous occurrences and accidents at work to the Local Authority who will investigate any incidents. The outcome of these enquiries usually involves the giving of advice to the employer. If a blatant breach of requirements is identified as the main reason for an accident happening, then formal action will be taken.

Accommodation certificates (650) Service

The certificate shows that a property is considered to provide a safe and healthy environment for the occupants and that the property satisfies overcrowding standards. Anyone requiring a visa application to enter and to reside in the UK with relatives, on a permanent or semi-permanent basis, will need the certificate.

Activities for children and young people (642) Service

Information about sporting, cultural and social activities in the local area for children and young people. Activities may be available on a drop-in basis or may require a regular commitment.

Activities for older people (640) Service

Provision of leisure activities for older people within the community. This may include cultural, sporting and other organised social activities.

Actuary registration (1163) Service

In order to work as an actuary in the UK you need to be a member of the Faculty and Institute of Actuaries.

Acupuncturist registration (681) Service

All persons that carry out acupuncture are required to be registered with the local authority. Officers will visit the premises to ensure they comply with the requirements of all relevant legislation.

Address allocation (1421) Service

Allocation of an address (number or name) to a new property.

Adoption (160) Service

The local authority attempts to find adoptive homes for children who are no longer able to live in their own homes. The authority reviews applications from prospective adoptive parents to assess suitability. Ongoing support is provided for adopted children and their new families.

Adoption of municipal land (1359) Service

Certain public land may be adopted by the local community who undertake to maintain the land in accordance with standards agreed at the time of the adoption. There are likely to be regulations regarding the use of the land, erection of buildings and any other activities which may change the character of the public space.

Adoption support agency registration (1309) Service

"Private organisations and individuals offering adoption support services must be registered with the relevant authority. In the UK registrations are administered by Ofsted."@en

Adoption support services (1828) Service

A local authority, where requested to do so, will carry out an assessment for adoption support services and, where the assessment identifies a need, will provide such services or arrange for them to be provided. The authority will also appoint an adoption support services adviser to provide advice and information to anyone affected by an adoption or proposed adoption.

Adult care plan (1757) Service

Following a social care assessment the council will work with any adult who has social care needs to create a care plan which will detail how any eligible needs are to be met. The plan may also suggest ways of meeting needs for which the individual is not eligible to receive help from the council.

Adult carers advice and support (225) Service

Provision of advice and support for adult carers who care for the elderly, children with special needs and adults with physical or learning disabilities. Carers may be entitled to receive additional help and support for their own needs from the local authority.

Adult day care registration (1263) Service

Anyone wishing to run an adult day care service is required to be registered

Adult education and learning (27) Service

Provision of ddult learning opportunities which can increase skills to support learners into work, enable attendees to gain qualifications, help attendees to meet new friends or simply find new hobbies or interests. Courses may be available full time, part time or online.

Adult hospice care (293) Service

Provision of information about hospices in the area for terminally ill people and their carers.

Adult placement (1121) Service

The Adult Placement Scheme helps approved Adult Placement Carers (ordinary people from the local community) to share their home and time with someone in need. It is similar to fostering but for adults.

Adult placement registration (1164) Service

Anyone who wishes to offer help under an adult placement scheme needs to be registered.

Adult residential care (292) Service

Residential or nursing home for elderly people and people with disabilities who are unable to manage at home.

Adventure activities licence (1165) Service

A licence is required if you wish provide adventure activities for children under 18 years of age

Advertisement control (1082) Service

Planning permission is required for certain types of advertisements and advertisements in specified areas. Copies of a Direction made under the relevant legislation must be kept open to inspection.

Advice for young people (700) Service

Integrated advice, guidance and access to personal development opportunities for young people aged between 13 and 19 to help them make a smooth transition to adulthood and working life

Advice to businesses and voluntary organisations (349) Service

Providing advice to new or existing businesses and voluntary organisations in the area on all aspects of running a business from starting a business to property, tax, employment law, business rates etc.

Advocacy for carers (162) Service

Advocacy on behalf of carers may include raising awareness of carers issues and helping to keep them on the agenda of all relevant agencies, setting out key values and principles for services to carers in the form of a local Carers Charter and improving the quality and increasing the availability of information to carers.

Advocacy for social care clients (728) Service

Providing access to someone who can advocate on behalf of a social services client to ensure that they receive equal rights by writing letters, making phone calls, liaising with relevant agencies etc. on the clients behalf.

Aerials and satellite dishes (1563) Service

In some areas (such as conservation areas) there is a restriction on placing satellite dishes and aerials on a dwelling. In such areas planning permission is required and the siting of the dish is bound by strict rules.

Affordable housing (1123) Service

Housing provided at below market prices and allocated on the basis of need to people who live or work in the area or need to move to the local area to receive/provide support and who are unable to afford to purchase or rent houses generally available on the open market without financial assistance..

Agricultural land maintenance (1463) Service

Rural households may be exempted from a need to licence agricultural land in order to maintain an area and avoid properties becoming vacant.

Agricultural production subsidies (1446) Service

Grants may be provided to businesses engaged in agricultural production and/or livestock farming. Typically grants may be for activities such as organic farming, keeping of rare breeds, milk and beef production subsidies, green agriculture.

Agricutural land licence (1455) Service

All acquisitions of real estate by inheritance, gift, purchase, and acquiring the right of use for longer than ten years, is subject to licensing. Gifts from close family members are excluded from this requirement.

Air ambulance (946) Service

The use of helicopters to transfer critically injured or ill patients who require the fastest, most direct route of transport to hospital.

Air conditioning system energy assessor accreditation (1314) Service

In order to carry out an energy efficiency inspection on air conditioning units an assessor must be an accredited Air Conditioning System Energy Assessor (ACSEA).

Air handling units (411) Service

Ventilation and air-conditioning systems which are poorly installed or maintained may be a health risk to the public. The local authority can provide advice and guidance on all aspects of installation and can require that detailed plans are submitted for inspection prior to installation of new units. This particularly applies to catering establishments.

Air quality (413) Service

Each council has responsibility for measuring the quality of ambient air to ensure that it meets required standards in relation to the concentration of a defined range of pollutants such as lead, nitrogen dioxide, benzene etc. The local authority is also required to keep a copy of any orders made under relevant legislation.

Air rescue (938) Service

Rescue of victims of accidents and emergencies from locations not easily accessible by other means or in situations where transfer to hospital by conventional ambulance could risk the safety of a victim. Air rescue can also provide direct transport to specialist units.

Air traffic controller licence (1166) Service

A licence is needed to act as an air traffic controller.

Air traffic services licence (1167) Service

A licence is required to operate air traffic control and other air services

Air travel organiser's(ATOL) licence (1168) Service

A licence is required in order to operate as an air travel operator

Aircraft maintenance engineer licence (1169) Service

A licence is required to operate as an aircraft maintenance engineer authorised to release non EASA aircraft to service

Airline pilot licence (1497) Service

A pilots licence is required in order to fly a private plane. Usually there are restrictions on the size of plane which can be flown under such a licence and the holder is not permitted to carry fare paying passengers.

Airport fire officer certificate (1170) Service

In order to work as an airport fire officer at an airport a certificate of competence is required. In the UK certificates are issued by the Civil Aviation Authority.

Airport firefighter certificate (1171) Service

In order to work as an airport firefighter at an airport a certificate of competence is required. In the UK certificates are issued by the Civil Aviation Authority.

Alarm notification area (1600) Service

The council can declare any part of their area as an alarm notification area. Anyone who has an intruder alarm fitted to their property (business or residential) is required by law to nominate a key holder and notify the council of their details.

Alcohol advice and support (727) Service

This service provides counselling advice and support for people affected by alcohol abuse/dependency.

Alley gating (657) Service

This service provides installation of security gates across footpaths and alleyways in residential areas and housing estates in order to combat crime.

Allocated council homes (86) Service

The local authority will allocate vacant properties according to priority on the housing register and suitability for the available property. New tenants will be required to sign a tenancy agreement prior to occupation of a property.

Allocated parking spaces (1425) Service

According to the size of the plot it may be a requirement that a property has a specified number of allocated parking places.

Allotments (510) Service

Plots of land for use to grow vegetables, fruit and flowers available for rent by local citizens. Water supplies, sheds/storage and skips are usually provided on allotment sites, car parking may also be available. The authority will determine the regulations concerning the use of allotments and is responsible for ensuring adequate security (fences etc.) is provided.

Alternative care providers (732) Service

Independent agencies who provide care for adults and children within the local area. Care agencies may provide any from the range of care services such as residential care, care at home, sheltered housing and day care. The council may use these agencies to provide care services.

Alternative provision of education (1765) Service

Alternative provision is for pupils who can not attend mainstream school for a variety of reasons, such as school exclusion, behaviour issues, short or long-term illness, school refusal or teenage pregnancy. Alternative provision may be in a special school, a pupil referral unit, alternative learning unit in school or provided by the council or with independent specialist providers.

Alternative therapies and treatments (1803) Service

Therapies and treatments provided by private clinics and therapists outside the NHS

Analytical chemist registration (1172) Service

"Maintains and publishication of a register of analytical chemists who have attained a prescribed level of qualification. In the UK the register is maintained by the Royal Society of Chemistry"@en

Animal by-products enforcement (1774) Service

The local authority is responsible for ensuring that anyone in the area who works with animal by-products complies with regulations including those on how to process, transport, store and dispose of such products.

Animal by-products licence (1173) Service

Approval is needed to collect, transport, store, process, dispose of, market or export animal by-products

Animal health (1823) Service

Trading standards are responsible for monitoring and investigating animal health and welfare of livestock (particularly at markets and during transport) within the council area, ensuring animals are treated correctly and not caused unnecessary suffering.

Animal importation (772) Service

In order to ensure that animal diseases are not imported controls are in place which rely primarily on imported animals being accompanied by health certification and being subject to post-import veterinary inspection. Implementation of import regulations is the responsibility of the port authority into which the animals are imported.

Animal inspection (788) Service

Local authorities inspect farms and land to: prevent outbreaks of animal disease, prevent environmental pollution, check farmers comply with regulations, provide advice at the request of farmers and to investigate complaints

Animal medicines and medicated feed registration (1249) Service

In order to sell animal medicines and medicated feeding stuffs you need to be qualified and registered

Animal transport licence (1174) Service

If you transport animals in connection with an economic activity for distances over 65 km (approx 40 miles) you will need a valid transporter authorisation.

Animal transport vehicle licence (1175) Service

Vehicles used for transporting animals on long journeys (those in excess of 8 hours) must be inspected and approved by the competent authority

Animal welfare (434) Service

The animal welfare sections responds to both reports from the public, and undertakes proactive patrols. The aims of the service are to protect local wildlife, to prevent nuisance from pet animals or from the keeping or boarding of pet animals and to reduce the risk to animal health arising from commercial keeping of pet or similar non-livestock animals.

Animals (scientific procedures) licence (1176) Service

To undertake scientific procedures involving animals, a vet needs a licence.

Anti-money laundering registration (1177) Service

"In order to prevent money laundering certain types of business must be registered with the relevant authority. In the UK HMRC is responsible for supervising Money Service Businesses (MSBs) High Value Dealers (HVDs) Accountancy Service Providers (ASPs) Trust or Company Service Providers (TCSPs)"@en

Anti-social behaviour - solvent abuse (1483) Service

Police and partner agencies deal with reported incidents of noise and rowdy behaviour in public places resulting from solvent abuse

Anti-social behaviour - begging and vagrancy (1480) Service

Police and partner agencies deal with reported incidents of begging and vagrancy in the local area

Anti-social behaviour - hoax or false calls to emergency services (1481) Service

Police and partner agencies deal with hoax calls made to emergency services.

Anti-social behaviour - inconsiderate or nuisance (1484) Service

Police and partner agencies deal with reported incidents of noise and rowdy behaviour in public places which is causing a nuisance to other members of the public

Anti-social behaviour - malicious or nuisance communication (1482) Service

Police and partner agencies deal with reported incidents malicious or nuisance communication to members of the public

Anti-social behaviour - neighbour nuisance (1485) Service

Police and partner agencies deal with incidents of noise and rowdy behaviour in private property which is causing a nuisance to neighbours

Anti-social behaviour - street drinking (1486) Service

Police and partner agencies deal with incidents of noise and rowdy behaviour as a result of street drinking

Anti-social behaviour - vehicle (1487) Service

Police and partner agencies deal with incidents of noise and rowdy behaviour involving vehicles

Approval of course leading to external qualification (1178) Service

In order to run a course leading to an external qualification for the purpose of funding or provision on behalf of a maintained school you must have obtained approval from the appropriate authority

Approval of meat plants with veterinary attendance (1180) Service

Any premises where meat is packaged or processed which is co-located with a slaughterhouse requires an approved premises licence In the UK licences are issued by the Food Standards Agency (FSA)

Approved suppliers (369) Service

An approved list of suppliers and or contractors is maintained and is amended as required from time to time by the local authority. Local businesses may apply to be placed on the list of approved suppliers for work to be carried out for or on behalf of the council

Archaeological consultancy (618) Service

Provision of archaeological services and consultancy to both commercial and public sector clients in the local area. May offer talks, exhibitions to the public and to local schools.

Archaeological excavations and surveys (619) Service

Protection and conservation of historic sites which includes advising on planning proposals for new developments where the development may impact on archaeological sites and monuments.

Architect registration (1181) Service

You need to be registered with the relevant organisation(s) in order to practice as an architect

Archive loans, donations, bequests and sales (604) Service

Information of local interest which is available for viewing by the community are often donated, bequeathed or loaned to the records office by local residents and historians. The local authority should have a standard agreement which is used to details terms of the loan or donation.

Archive withdrawals (605) Service

A depositor may permanently withdraw their records at any time, provided notice is given to the Record Office. During this period of notice, the local authority reserves the right to copy the records and to make these copies available for private research

Archives (448) Service

Archives are original documents produced by official bodies, societies and individuals that are no longer in current use. The council may provide a way for local residents and business to view their archives, often in a local library.

Archives - access (606) Service

Records will be made available to the public for research during the advertised opening hours of the record office and in accordance with the search room rules.

Archives - enquiries (1034) Service

The council keeps archives of documents relating to the local area. These may include parish registers, maps and plans, council minutes and other historic documents providing an insight into the history of the area. Visitors are usually able to make enquiries of the archives in person (online or by visiting the archive office) or using a research service provided by the council for which a charge is normally made.

Area waste strategy (877) Service

The Aim of an Area Waste Plan (AWP) is to contribute to the sustainable development of the area by developing waste management systems that will control waste generation, reduce its environmental impact, improve resource efficiency, stimulate investment and maximise the economic opportunities arising from waste. The AWP covers all types of waste (household, commercial, industrial) but initially focuses on municipal waste (MW).

Armed forces community covenant (1654) Service

The aim of the community covenant is to encourage local communities to support the service community in their area and promote understanding and awareness among the public of issues affecting the armed forces community.

Armed forces recruitment (1560) Service

Persons who wish to serve as volunteer in the army must apply to complete the application form at their municipal administration.

Arson investigation (1603) Service

Investigation of the cause of fires where arson is suspected.

Arson reduction (800) Service

Advice on measures which can be taken by businesses and residents to reduce the likelihood of arson on their premises.

Art commissions (1372) Service

A local administration may commission works of art from local or other artists for display in public buildings or other art exhibitions in the area.

Artificial reproduction of animals licence (1182) Service

To conduct artificial insemination or embryo transfer in livestock, operators and/or premises require approval.

Arts and creative classes (1791) Service

Creative arts classes enabling local residents the opportunity to discover and/or develop their creative potential

Arts development (884) Service

Support and development of arts in the local community. This is typically achieved by by giving residents the opportunity to take part in arts activities and also by providing information and support to local artists, arts groups and members of the public. The local authority may run arts projects in the community and work with local artists and other groups to plan future arts activity.

Arts organisations and events (838) Service

Provision of information and advice on local arts organisations, exhibitions and events.

Asbestos management (415) Service

Residents and business may be given advice on what to do if they believe asbestos may be present in a building. Council inspectors may visit the premises to confirm the presence of asbestos and advise on procedures for removal and disposal.

Asbestos removal licence (1183) Service

A licence is required to carry out work with asbestos.

Assembly centre approval (1350) Service

Anyone wishing to bring animals from a number of farms onto premises prior to export, will need to be approved as an assembly centre/assembly market. There are strict rules governing the approval of assembly centres/assembly markets and the way in which they are supervised and operated.

Assisted garden maintenance (147) Service

Garden maintenance for elderly (aged 60 or over) or disabled tenants who are not capable of doing the work themselves.

Asylum seekers - change of address (1537) Service

An asylum seeker who has exhausted all legal procedures but has not left the country, can notify the municipal authority of change of address. However, the new address cannot be used on any document and no certificates can be provided. The notification is of value because the person concerned does not disappear completely illegally and remains accountable before the authorities.

Asylum seekers and refugee support (77) Service

Provision of temporary accommodation, meals and other advice and support for asylum seekers waiting for an application for refugee status to be assessed by the government and for refugees.

Asylum seekers travel permit (1380) Service

A travel permit (sometimes known as a refugee passport) is issued to residents in a country who are not entitled to a full passport because they do not have citizenship and who are recognised as refugees or asylum seekers.

Attending arson incidents (1474) Service

Fire and rescue services will attend and deal with reported incidents of arson or suspected arson.

Attending automatic fire alarms (801) Service

The local fire authority can provide advice to residents and business on the installation of automatic fire alarms and on the testing of such alarm systems following installation or any building/redecoration work undertaken in the alarmed area.

Attending fires (815) Service

The fire services directs emergency calls to the emergency call handling centre which routes all calls for an area to fire control. Control will confirm with the address of the incident and help will be despatched immediately.

Auction premises licence (379) Service

Any premises used for public auctions must be registered unless the auction is a one day charity event. In this case, proof of charity status will be required. There is an application fee which must be paid at the time the application is made.

Audit work registration (1184) Service

To undertake audit work, you need to be a member of an auditing supervisory body

Autism strategy (1728) Service

Development and publication of a strategy which sets out the vision, aims, objectives and plans of both health and social care for adults aged 18+ years who have or are seeking a diagnosis of autism.

Bail accommodation (1091) Service

The criminal justice social work department provide assistance in finding suitable accommodation. The court needs to maintain contact with an accused person during the process of their case. As such, where a person lives has a significant effect on the bail decision. Bail accommodation aims to decrease unnecessary custodial remands by assisting those who are either homeless or who are otherwise unable to offer an acceptable address. Courts can attach a condition of residence to a bail order.

Bail information (1092) Service

The criminal justice social work department provide of verified information to the courts to assist in decision making. The aim is to provide independent, factual verified information about accused persons held in police custody prior to a court appearance the following day.

Bail supervision (1093) Service

The criminal justice social work department identify and provide services for those people on, or at risk of, a custodial remand who, if subject to supervision, could be considered for bail. This could be before trial or before sentence. As well as supervision there is also provision for services which facilitate the protection of the public by addressing the potential risk of re-offending by bailees while on bail. Bail supervision schemes identify individuals, based on assessed need, who require a level of intensive support and would suffer extreme difficulties if sent to custody. Under Bail Supervision, priority should be given to those with mental health problems, women accused, single parents and young people aged between 16 and 17.

Bankruptcy declaration (1375) Service

Anyone who is unable to pay their debts can apply to be declared bankrupt. Their debts may then be restructured and a payment plan for any outstanding amounts decided by the court.

Barrister registration (1185) Service

"In order to work as a barrister you must have achieved the appropriate qualification and be registered to do so. In the UK the qualifications required are set out by the Bar Standards Board"@en

Bathing waters (1775) Service

A local authority is responsible for publishing information about any bathing waters (coastal or otherwise) in it's area. Information to be published includes the water quality classification and any public health information (health risks) relating to the use of the water for swimming. Information is published between May 15th and September 30th each year.

Beach patrols (756) Service

This service generally operates during the hours of popular use of a beach. Its purpose is primarily to ensure the safety of beach users and to prevent anti-social behaviour which disturbs other beach users.

Bee keeping regulations (1361) Service

There may be restrictions on where bees may be kept. Typically such restrictions would be determined by the distance from living accommodation or other occupied buildings. Exemptions to such restrictions may be allowed provided certain conditions relating to the construction of hives are met.

Behaviour development in schools (896) Service

Educational psychologists work closely with teachers and parents to help children who are having difficulties with: Learning and general development, including reading, writing, spelling and numbers; Emotions and behaviour; Making good relationships with other children and with adults.

Benefit fraud (726) Service

The local authority aim to detect and prevent any fraudulent benefit claims, stopping and reducing payment in fraudulent cases and preventing over-payment claims.

Benefits advice and assessment (190) Service

Advisors offering benefit assessment and providing advice about entitlement to welfare benefits to individuals in receipt of benefit or claiming benefit.

Bereavement support (328) Service

Provision of support and advice to relatives about the arrangements that need to be made after a bereavement, such as registering the death and obtaining a death certificate.

Betting office licence (1065) Service

A Betting Office Licence is required to open a betting office. The holder of a Betting Office Licence must also have a Bookmaker's Permit

Bicycle stand or locker (1503) Service

Provision of stand or locker for use by bicycle owner to store his/her bicycle. Typically a stand or locker is available for hire for an agreed period of time.

Biocidal products notification (1593) Service

"Before any biocidal products or active substances can be placed on the market the producer is required to notify the appropriate authority and have obtained authorisation for the sale of the products. In the UK the authority to be notified is the Health and Safety Executive (HSE)."@en

Birth certificate amendments (320) Service

Re-registration of a birth may be required if there is a need to change the details of the original registration because of a change of circumstances. Corrections may be necessary if a mistake was made on the original registration. Both are carried out by the Register Office.

Birth registration (319) Service

Registration of a birth. Every birth in England or Wales must be registered in the district in which it takes place within 42 days of the date of birth. In Scotland, a birth must be registered in any Registration Office in Scotland within 21 days.

Boarding animals licence (374) Service

Anyone who carries on the business of providing accommodation for other people's cats and dogs is required to have a licence. The aim of the licensing requirements is to achieve certain standards in the management of the accommodation and to ensure precautions against disease and fire.

Boat and trailer parking (757) Service

The local port/harbour authority may provide boat/trailer parking for rent daily, overnight or for longer periods. This may also apply to inland lakes/reservoirs where sailing is available.

Boat launching and recovery (762) Service

Port and harbour authorities and local authorities with coastline or inland waterways provide slipways which may be used for the launch and recovery of trailed boats.

Boat moorings (758) Service

Provision of permanent and/or temporary boat moorings for boat owners. Moorings will be subject to charge and may be subject to restrictions (time, vessel size etc.). All boat owners are required to have a permanent mooring for their vessel.

Boat registration (763) Service

Personal watercraft users must register their craft with the local authority in order to use its beaches or launches to launch their craft. Users will generally need to prove their competence in order to obtain a permit.

Boat waste disposal (769) Service

Provision of waste reception facilities for all port users including pleasure boats, private yachts/boats and houseboats

Boat winter storage (771) Service

Winter storage facilities for boats and other watercraft can be offered by the local authority (or port authority). The authority processes applications for winter storage and maintains records of stored vessels.

Boatman's licence (741) Service

Any person wishing to become a boatman must obtain a license. 'Boatman' refers to a person or operators who wish to hire out boats or crafts. There are two types of licence that can be obtained, restricted, which applies only to persons on the shore or pier or a full boatman's licence, which applies to persons who assist in the charge and navigation of pleasure boats, craft or vessels to be let for hire or be used for carrying passengers for hire.

Boats - launch service (778) Service

Provision of facilities to launch boats or other watercraft into waterways controlled by the local authority.

Boats - mooring space - waiting lists (768) Service

Waiting lists for people requiring moorings. Waiting periods vary considerably depending on the size and type of boat to be accommodated.

Book exhibitions (43) Service

The library services department offers schools book exhibitions of currently available children's fiction, non fiction and picture books.

Bookmakers permit (1066) Service

Anyone responsible for running a betting office has to have a bookmakers' permit. With this permit, the person can run one or more premises; however he/she will still have to apply for betting office licences for EACH property.

Bookstart (1601) Service

Bookstart offers the gift of free books to all children at two key ages before they start school, to inspire a love of reading that will give children a flying start in life.

Bridge strengthening (554) Service

Work carried out under the strengthening programme gives priority to principal road bridges. For substandard bridges on the non-principal road network, decisions are made whether to permanently weight restrict rather than strengthen.

Brownfield land register (1797) Service

Each planning authority must keep and maintain a register of brownfield land in it's area. Brownfield land is land which has been previously developed and which might be suitable for housing development. Registers may be kept in two parts. The first part (which is mandatory) is for sites categorised as previously developed land which are suitable, available and achievable for residential development. The second part of the register (which is optional) allows the planning authority to select sites from part one and grant permission in principle (PiP) for housing-led development. Further guidance can be found at http://schemas.opendata.esd.org.uk/brownfield.

Budgeting loans (1445) Service

A municipal loan may be provided for those who are temporarily unable to pay for his living expenses such as food, clothing, rent and electricity, or who need financial help in a difficult situation.

Building and landscape design (668) Service

Ensuring that new development meets local criteria in respect of land use, practicality (drainage, parking, access etc.) and environmental considerations.

Building control (499) Service

The council is responsible for ensuring that buildings are properly designed and constructed so as to ensure the health, safety, welfare and convenience of people using them. All buildings should comply with the current building regulations. The local authority inspect plans for new buildings to check compliance with regulations and periodically inspect the site during construction to ensure approved plans are adhered to. In Scotland the local authority is responsible for ensuring that the construction, alteration, extension, demolition and conversion of buildings are conducted so as to ensure the health, safety, welfare and convenience of citizens. The local authority will inspect plans for new buildings to check compliance with regulations and periodically inspect sites during construction to ensure approved plans are adhered to. When the local authority is satisfied that with the plans they will issue a Building Warrant the legal permission to commence.

Building control enforcement (1157) Service

Building control enforcement is a formal procedure available to Local Authorities which enables them to ensure that building work complies with the national Building Regulations.

Building inspector authorisation (1187) Service

Building control for housing may only be carried out by Approved Inspectors who have obtained the appropriate authorisation..

Building materials licence (383) Service

A licence is required for placing building materials on any part of a highway. Licences are only issued in exceptional circumstances for any duration up to a month. The applicant can extend this before the granted licence expires.

Building warrants (1058) Service

The design and construction of buildings is controlled by ensuring Building Warrant applications comply with Building Regulations for most classes and types of building, whether public or private and includes houses, shops, leisure facilities, factories, warehouses etc. A Building Warrant application is required for the erection, change of use, alteration or extension of a building and is also necessary for the demolition of a property. It is valid for three years and construction work cannot begin before the Building Warrant has been approved. A statutory register of all building warrants must be maintained.

Bulky household waste collections (528) Service

Arrangements for special collections for large items such as furniture or items with special disposal requirements (e.g. refrigerators, tyres). The householder can usually book this service in advance and there may be a charge for the collection

Bus lanes and routes (1599) Service

Provision of lanes on bus routes which are typically restricted to use by buses, coaches and taxis. Operating days and times may vary according to location.

Bus passes for disabled or older people (280) Service

A bus pass (or other travel concession) is available to local citizens if they are aged 60 and over, they are physically disabled, they have a learning difficulty or they would be refused a driving licence. Eligibility is automatic if the applicant is already in receipt of other services as a result of their age/disability.

Bus stops and shelters (637) Service

The local authority offers advice concerning the positioning of bus stop signs and bus shelters. The provision and maintenance of bus shelters is normally the responsibility of the local transport authority.

Business - business plans - advice (346) Service

Information and advice to local businesses on how to set up a successful business plan. May well include directing businesses to third party organisations which offer advice to business.

Business - exporters' forums (685) Service

The local authority provides information, advice and support to local businesses interested in developing export sales. The information provided could include networking and information gathering events, and information on grants.

Business - food production - hygiene (710) Service

Ensuring standards are maintained in all aspect of food production and distribution, animal health and agriculture. This may involve inspections, investigation of complaints and enforcement.

Business - food safety - risk assessment (410) Service

Risk assessments are a legal requirement for all food businesses. The local authority require a risk assessment to be carried out prior to registration of a food business.

Business - notification to council - employees (1037) Service

Business which employ any person or persons to work in a shop or office premises are required to notify the local authority.

Business awards (690) Service

Awards made to local businesses by the council to disseminate the lessons learned from successful businesses - their skills, achievements and innovations provide valuable inspiration to the business community and help inspire business leaders of the future.

Business broadband campaign (864) Service

Project to make broadband internet services available countywide at an affordable price to businesses.

Business centres (1618) Service

Provision of office and industrial business space for rent to businesses in the local community.

Business continuity advice (914) Service

Provision of advice on business continuity management in the event of a civil emergency to local businesses and voluntary organisations

Business co-operatives (351) Service

A co-operative is a way for two or more people to go into business together and reducing personal financial risk. The council can help set up a new co-operative in any sector or help existing co-operatives by providing advice and information on issues such as business planning, finding premises, legal advice, business information, suppliers etc.

Business directories (1036) Service

Provision of a directory which provides details of local businesses.

Business grants (350) Service

Providing business grants to new businesses, existing businesses who want to grow or businesses who want to move to the local area.

Business improvement districts (BID) (1693) Service

A business improvement district (BID) is a defined area within which businesses pay an additional tax (or levy) in order to fund projects within the district's boundaries. The BID is often funded primarily through the levy but can also draw on other public and private funding streams. BIDs provide services, such as cleaning streets, providing security, making capital improvements, construction of pedestrian and streetscape enhancements, and marketing the area. The services provided by BIDs are supplemental to those already provided by the Local Authority.

Business rate relief (55) Service

Business owners may be eligible for reductions in their business rates. Examples of reductions are transitional relief, empty properties, charity relief, rural rate relief and hardship relief. The council provides advice on eligibility for rate reductions and will provide application forms and process applications for reductions.

Business rate supplement (1672) Service

County councils, unitary district councils and the Greater London Authority are entitled to levy a supplement on the national non-domestic rate (or business rate). Authorities will be able to use the proceeds to fund additional investment aimed at promoting the economic development of local areas.

Business rates account enquiries (56) Service

Local businesses can apply to the council for information about their own business rates such as a statement of their account, details of their property valuation etc. New businesses must apply to the council for a valuation of their property and to set up a new business rate account.

Business rates annual notification (54) Service

Providing local business with information on who is required to pay business rates, how business rates are calculated for a property (valuation), how to pay business rates.

Business security advice (692) Service

Help and advice to businesses who seek assistance to secure their properties and upgrade security. This may include independent security risk assessments, help in conducting security surveys in conjunction with council grant schemes, information to businesses about developing crime problems, crime trends and criminal activity.

Business security grants (693) Service

Grants towards the installation of security systems for local businesses. Funding may be available to cover alarms, closed circuit television, security grills and shutters, security fencing, anti-ram posts, security landscaping etc.

Business sponsorship opportunities (1139) Service

Businesses may offer sponsorship to the council. Any sponsorship agreed should be in accordance with the council's guidelines and policies.

Business taxation (1456) Service

Those who are self-emplyed or who are a partner in a business may be required to pay tax for the current year in advance. The amount of tax to be paid is typically based on the previous years results.

Business travel and commuting (1539) Service

The purpose of a business transport plan is to promote alternative methods of transport (e.g. bicycles, public transport, car pools ..) for home-to-work commuting or the personnel of the town itself as well as for the staff of companies/establishments. This is possible by giving information and pointing out the alternative methods of transport for the home-work commute and by stimulating alternative methods of transport in home to work commuting.

Butchers shop licence (385) Service

From 1 January 2006, all retail butchers are subject to the EC hygiene regulations that apply to retail and catering businesses. These regulations include a requirement to operate HACCP-based food safety management procedures.

Byelaws and regulations (1390) Service

A local administration may create and publish laws and regulations applying to their local area which are legally binding. Such byelaws cannot be in direct contravention of any national law.

Calibration and testing (1046) Service

Businesses using weighing or measuring equipment for trade must ensure that it has been tested for accuracy and passed fit for such use by a weights and measures inspector or an authorised body.

Camping and caravan sites (1108) Service

Provision of camping and caravan facilities by local authorities

Canals and waterways (556) Service

Provision and maintenance of inland waterways. In the UK inland waterways are owned and managed by a variety of authorities. Most commonly it is British Waterways but some local authorities have responsibility for the maintenance of canals running through their area.

Car sharing (1111) Service

The local authority provides information about car pooling or sharing schemes.

Caravan site licence (743) Service

Land owners must not allow their land to be used as a caravan site unless it holds a valid site licence other than for certain exemptions such as; incidental use within the boundary of a dwelling house; sites approved by certain organisations i.e. caravan club etc; building and engineering sites; travelling show-people sites and sites occupied by the local authority.

Caravan/mobile home - allocated standing place (1358) Service

Permanent standing place for a caravan or mobile home. Permanent standing places are usually connected up to uitilities such as water, sewage etc.

Care - home assessment (316) Service

The home assessment scheme is designed to carry out an assessment to determine individuals who may need help overcome any difficulties with daily living tasks.

Care Act 2014 implementation (1743) Service

Planning and publication of how the local authority plans to implement the Care Act 2014 when it comes into force in April 2015

Care ambassadors (1283) Service

A national initiative concerned with raising the profile of training and careers in social care. Enthusiastic and committed social care professionals are recruited to represent the social care sector as Care Ambassadors. These professionals are then tasked with enthusing and engaging young people from year nine onwards to take relevant courses to begin careers in this area, thus sustaining and increasing the social care workforce

Care at home (242) Service

Care in your own home is offered to people who require assistance with personal care such as washing or dressing, or other practical daily tasks such as help with domestic chores like cooking and cleaning, or in some instances, help in managing finances.

Care needs assessment (209) Service

Needs assessment is a programme carried out by the local authority to try to establish the needs of an individual who requires help from social services and to arrange services to meet their needs. Following an assessment the appropriate services will be provided and a client file opened.

Care order (1769) Service

A care order gives the local authority overriding parental responsibility for a child. Where childrens services decide that the child cannot return to live with their birth parents and they need to secure a long term living option for the child the authority can apply to the court for a care order.

Care plan (1723) Service

Care plans set out what services and other help will be provided to a looked after child and their family. The Care Plan will say what the council and other agencies will do to meet the childs needs around health, education, religion, culture and hobbies and sets out the longer term plan for the child's future.

Careers advice (887) Service

Help for pupils who are about to leave school to choose a career or a further education/training course.

Carers allowance (1437) Service

Carers allowance is a weekly benefit for carers who regularly spend at least 35 hours a week caring for a disabled person. The allowance is intended to compensate someone who is unable to work because they are a carer. However, some carers may be able to do some paid work whilst caring

Carers assessment (1755) Service

Anyone who is caring for another person for a substantial amount of time has the right to have a carers assessment to identify their needs where either the person they are caring for has refused an assessment or is not receiving help from social care. The assessment is available to both adult carers and young carers.

Carers support groups (298) Service

Groups and organisations that provide advice and support for those who are caring for adults or children with special needs.

Caretaking (1142) Service

Councils provide caretaking services to residents of low-rise and high-rise council flats. These services include repair and maintenance, and the cleaning of communal areas such as lifts and hallways.

Catering, sales and vending (883) Service

Provision of catering services for functions or refreshments and vending facilities in public buildings.

Cave rescue (941) Service

Rescue of victims of accidents or emergencies in underground cave systems

Cemeteries and crematoria (1538) Service

Provision and maintenance of cemeteries and/or crematoria. Information on location, opening hours and any regulations is provided.

close menu