Scottish services list Discontinued

Abandoned shopping trolleys (1152) Service

Abandoned shopping trolleys have a negative impact on the quality of the local environment and can be hazardous to pedestrians, cyclists and road users. Local Authorities are permitted to seize, store and dispose of abandoned shopping trolleys within their area.

Abandoned vehicles (372) Service

The local council will deal with any vehicles reported as abandoned on local roads or property (usually including private property). The vehicle will be removed.

Abnormal load notification (785) Service

A haulier who intend to move an abnormal load such as gross weight exceeding 40 tonnes or more must notify and gain consent from the police or the local authority..

Accessibility of Web sites (853) Service

The local authority is expected to provide information via it's web site in a way which is accessible to all citizens and to advise citizens of the steps it has taken to meet the required government standards on accessibility

Accident reporting (429) Service

Employers have a duty to report certain dangerous occurrences and accidents at work to the Local Authority who will investigate any incidents. The outcome of these enquiries usually involves the giving of advice to the employer. If a blatant breach of requirements is identified as the main reason for an accident happening, then formal action will be taken.

Accommodation certificates (650) Service

The certificate shows that a property is considered to provide a safe and healthy environment for the occupants and that the property satisfies overcrowding standards. Anyone requiring a visa application to enter and to reside in the UK with relatives, on a permanent or semi-permanent basis, will need the certificate.

Activities for older people (640) Service

Provision of leisure activities for older people within the community. This may include cultural, sporting and other organised social activities.

Adoption (160) Service

The local authority attempts to find adoptive homes for children who are no longer able to live in their own homes. The authority reviews applications from prospective adoptive parents to assess suitability. Ongoing support is provided for adopted children and their new families.

Adult carers advice and support (225) Service

Provision of advice and support for adult carers who care for the elderly, children with special needs and adults with physical or learning disabilities. Carers may be entitled to receive additional help and support for their own needs from the local authority.

Adult education courses (27) Service

A broad range of adult education courses leading to nationally recognised qualifications to citizens. Citizens may be eligible for help towards the cost of the courses.

Adult hospice care (293) Service

Provision of information about hospices in the area for terminally ill people and their carers.

Adult placement (1121) Service

The Adult Placement Scheme helps approved Adult Placement Carers (ordinary people from the local community) to share their home and time with someone in need. It is similar to fostering but for adults.

Adult residential care (292) Service

Residential or nursing home for elderly people and people with disabilities who are unable to manage at home.

Advertisement control (1082) Service

Planning permission is required for certain types of advertisements and advertisements in specified areas. Copies of a Direction made under the relevant legislation must be kept open to inspection.

Advice for young people (700) Service

Integrated advice, guidance and access to personal development opportunities for young people aged between 13 and 19 to help them make a smooth transition to adulthood and working life

Advocacy for carers (162) Service

Advocacy on behalf of carers may include raising awareness of carers issues and helping to keep them on the agenda of all relevant agencies, setting out key values and principles for services to carers in the form of a local Carers Charter and improving the quality and increasing the availability of information to carers.

Advocacy for social care clients (728) Service

Providing access to someone who can advocate on behalf of a social services client to ensure that they receive equal rights by writing letters, making phone calls, liaising with relevant agencies etc. on the clients behalf.

Affordable housing (1123) Service

Housing provided at below market prices and allocated on the basis of need to people who live or work in the area or need to move to the local area to receive/provide support and who are unable to afford to purchase or rent houses generally available on the open market without financial assistance..

Air handling units (411) Service

Ventilation and air-conditioning systems which are poorly installed or maintained may be a health risk to the public. The local authority can provide advice and guidance on all aspects of installation and can require that detailed plans are submitted for inspection prior to installation of new units. This particularly applies to catering establishments.

Air quality (413) Service

Each council has responsibility for measuring the quality of ambient air to ensure that it meets required standards in relation to the concentration of a defined range of pollutants such as lead, nitrogen dioxide, benzene etc. The local authority is also required to keep a copy of any orders made under relevant legislation.

Alcohol advice and support (727) Service

This service provides counselling advice and support for people affected by alcohol abuse/dependency.

Alley gating (657) Service

This service provides installation of security gates across footpaths and alleyways in residential areas and housing estates in order to combat crime.

Allocated council homes (86) Service

The local authority will allocate vacant properties according to priority on the housing register and suitability for the available property. New tenants will be required to sign a tenancy agreement prior to occupation of a property.

Allotments (510) Service

Plots of land for use to grow vegetables, fruit and flowers available for rent by local citizens. Water supplies, sheds/storage and skips are usually provided on allotment sites, car parking may also be available. The authority will determine the regulations concerning the use of allotments and is responsible for ensuring adequate security (fences etc.) is provided.

Alternative care providers (732) Service

Independent agencies who provide care for adults and children within the local area. Care agencies may provide any from the range of care services such as residential care, care at home, sheltered housing and day care. The council may use these agencies to provide care services.

Animal importation (772) Service

In order to ensure that animal diseases are not imported controls are in place which rely primarily on imported animals being accompanied by health certification and being subject to post-import veterinary inspection. Implementation of import regulations is the responsibility of the port authority into which the animals are imported.

Animal inspection (788) Service

Enforcement of all animal health and welfare legislation designed to protect both domesticated and wild animals.

Animal welfare (434) Service

The Animal welfare sections responds to both reports from the public, and undertakes proactive patrols. The aims of the service are to reduce the risk to human health from domesticated animals and/or the premises where they are kept, to prevent nuisance from pet animals or from the keeping or boarding of pet animals and to reduce the risk to animal health arising from commercial keeping of pet or similar non-livestock animals.

Approved suppliers (369) Service

An approved list of suppliers and or contractors is maintained and is amended as required from time to time by the local authority. Local businesses may apply to be placed on the list of approved suppliers for work to be carried out for or on behalf of the council

Archaeological consultancy (618) Service

Provision of archaeological services and consultancy to both commercial and public sector clients in the local area. May offer talks, exhibitions to the public and to local schools.

Archaeological excavations and surveys (619) Service

Protection and conservation of historic sites which includes advising on planning proposals for new developments where the development may impact on archaeological sites and monuments.

Archive loans, donations, bequests and sales (604) Service

Information of local interest which is available for viewing by the community are often donated, bequeathed or loaned to the records office by local residents and historians. The local authority should have a standard agreement which is used to details terms of the loan or donation.

Archive withdrawals (605) Service

A depositor may permanently withdraw their records at any time, provided notice is given to the Record Office. During this period of notice, the local authority reserves the right to copy the records and to make these copies available for private research

Archives (448) Service

Archives are original documents produced by official bodies, societies and individuals that are no longer in current use. The council may provide a way for local residents and business to view their archives, often in a local library.

Archives - access (606) Service

Records will be made available to the public for research during the advertised opening hours of the record office and in accordance with the search room rules.

Archives - enquiries (1034) Service

The council keeps archives of documents relating to the local area. These may include parish registers, maps and plans, council minutes and other historic documents providing an insight into the history of the area. Visitors are usually able to make enquiries of the archives in person (online or by visiting the archive office) or using a research service provided by the council for which a charge is normally made.

Area waste strategy (877) Service

The Aim of an Area Waste Plan (AWP) is to contribute to the sustainable development of the area by developing waste management systems that will control waste generation, reduce its environmental impact, improve resource efficiency, stimulate investment and maximise the economic opportunities arising from waste. The AWP covers all types of waste (household, commercial, industrial) but initially focuses on municipal waste (MW).

Arson reduction (800) Service

Advice on measures which can be taken by businesses and residents to reduce the likelihood of arson on their premises.

Arts development (884) Service

Support and development of arts in the local community. This is typically achieved by by giving residents the opportunity to take part in arts activities and also by providing information and support to local artists, arts groups and members of the public. The local authority may run arts projects in the community and work with local artists and other groups to plan future arts activity.

Arts organisations and events (838) Service

Provision of information and advice on local arts organisations, exhibitions and events.

Asbestos management (415) Service

Residents and business may be given advice on what to do if they believe asbestos may be present in a building. Council inspectors may visit the premises to confirm the presence of asbestos and advise on procedures for removal and disposal.

Assisted garden maintenance (147) Service

Garden maintenance for elderly (aged 60 or over) or disabled tenants who are not capable of doing the work themselves.

Asylum seekers support (77) Service

Provision of temporary accommodation, meals and other advice and support for asylum seekers i.e. those waiting for an application for refugee status to be assessed by the government.

Attending automatic fire alarms (801) Service

The local fire authority can provide advice to residents and business on the installation of automatic fire alarms and on the testing of such alarm systems following installation or any building/redecoration work undertaken in the alarmed area.

Attending fires (815) Service

The fire services directs emergency calls to the emergency call handling centre which routes all calls for an area to fire control. Control will confirm with the address of the incident and help will be despatched immediately.

Bail accommodation (1091) Service

The criminal justice social work department provide assistance in finding suitable accommodation. The court needs to maintain contact with an accused person during the process of their case. As such, where a person lives has a significant effect on the bail decision. Bail accommodation aims to decrease unnecessary custodial remands by assisting those who are either homeless or who are otherwise unable to offer an acceptable address. Courts can attach a condition of residence to a bail order.

Bail information (1092) Service

The criminal justice social work department provide of verified information to the courts to assist in decision making. The aim is to provide independent, factual verified information about accused persons held in police custody prior to a court appearance the following day.

Bail supervision (1093) Service

The criminal justice social work department identify and provide services for those people on, or at risk of, a custodial remand who, if subject to supervision, could be considered for bail. This could be before trial or before sentence. As well as supervision there is also provision for services which facilitate the protection of the public by addressing the potential risk of re-offending by bailees while on bail. Bail supervision schemes identify individuals, based on assessed need, who require a level of intensive support and would suffer extreme difficulties if sent to custody. Under Bail Supervision, priority should be given to those with mental health problems, women accused, single parents and young people aged between 16 and 17.

Beach patrols (756) Service

This service generally operates during the hours of popular use of a beach. Its purpose is primarily to ensure the safety of beach users and to prevent anti-social behaviour which disturbs other beach users.

Behaviour development in schools (896) Service

Educational psychologists work closely with teachers and parents to help children who are having difficulties with: Learning and general development, including reading, writing, spelling and numbers; Emotions and behaviour; Making good relationships with other children and with adults.

Benefit fraud (726) Service

The local authority aim to detect and prevent any fraudulent benefit claims, stopping and reducing payment in fraudulent cases and preventing over-payment claims.

Benefits advice and assessment (190) Service

The local authority benefit advisors offer benefit assessment and provide advice about entitlement to welfare benefits to individuals in receipt of benefit or claiming benefit.

Bereavement support (328) Service

Provision of support and advice to relatives about the arrangements that need to be made after a bereavement, such as registering the death and obtaining a death certificate.

Betting office licence (1065) Service

A Betting Office Licence is required to open a betting office. The holder of a Betting Office Licence must also have a Bookmaker's Permit

Birth certificate amendments (320) Service

Re-registration of a birth may be required if there is a need to change the details of the original registration because of a change of circumstances. Corrections may be necessary if a mistake was made on the original registration. Both are carried out by the Register Office.

Birth registration (319) Service

Registration of a birth. Every birth in England or Wales must be registered in the district in which it takes place within 42 days of the date of birth. In Scotland, a birth must be registered in any Registration Office in Scotland within 21 days.

Boarding animals licence (374) Service

Anyone who carries on the business of providing accommodation for other people's cats and dogs is required to have a licence. The aim of the licensing requirements is to achieve certain standards in the management of the accommodation and to ensure precautions against disease and fire.

Boat and trailer parking (757) Service

The local port/harbour authority may provide boat/trailer parking for rent daily, overnight or for longer periods. This may also apply to inland lakes/reservoirs where sailing is available.

Boat launching and recovery (762) Service

Port and harbour authorities and local authorities with coastline or inland waterways provide slipways which may be used for the launch and recovery of trailed boats.

Boat moorings (758) Service

Provision of permanent and/or temporary boat moorings for boat owners. Moorings will be subject to charge and may be subject to restrictions (time, vessel size etc.). All boat owners are required to have a permanent mooring for their vessel.

Boat registration (763) Service

Personal watercraft users must register their craft with the local authority in order to use its beaches or launches to launch their craft. Users will generally need to prove their competence in order to obtain a permit.

Boat waste disposal (769) Service

Provision of waste reception facilities for all port users including pleasure boats, private yachts/boats and houseboats

Boat winter storage (771) Service

Winter storage facilities for boats and other watercraft can be offered by the local authority (or port authority). The authority processes applications for winter storage and maintains records of stored vessels.

Boatman's licence (741) Service

Any person wishing to become a boatman must obtain a license. 'Boatman' refers to a person or operators who wish to hire out boats or crafts. There are two types of licence that can be obtained, restricted, which applies only to persons on the shore or pier or a full boatman's licence, which applies to persons who assist in the charge and navigation of pleasure boats, craft or vessels to be let for hire or be used for carrying passengers for hire.

Boats - launch service (778) Service

Provision of facilities to launch boats or other watercraft into waterways controlled by the local authority.

Boats - mooring space - waiting lists (768) Service

Waiting lists for people requiring moorings. Waiting periods vary considerably depending on the size and type of boat to be accommodated.

Book exhibitions (43) Service

The library services department offers schools book exhibitions of currently available children's fiction, non fiction and picture books.

Bridge strengthening (554) Service

Work carried out under the strengthening programme gives priority to principal road bridges. For substandard bridges on the non-principal road network, decisions are made whether to permanently weight restrict rather than strengthen.

Building and landscape design (668) Service

Ensuring that new development meets local criteria in respect of land use, practicality (drainage, parking, access etc.) and environmental considerations.

Building control (499) Service

The council is responsible for ensuring that buildings are properly designed and constructed so as to ensure the health, safety, welfare and convenience of people using them. All buildings should comply with the current building regulations. The local authority inspect plans for new buildings to check compliance with regulations and periodically inspect the site during construction to ensure approved plans are adhered to. In Scotland the local authority is responsible for ensuring that the construction, alteration, extension, demolition and conversion of buildings are conducted so as to ensure the health, safety, welfare and convenience of citizens. The local authority will inspect plans for new buildings to check compliance with regulations and periodically inspect sites during construction to ensure approved plans are adhered to. When the local authority is satisfied that with the plans they will issue a Building Warrant the legal permission to commence.

Building control enforcement (1157) Service

Building control enforcement is a formal procedure available to Local Authorities which enables them to ensure that building work complies with the national Building Regulations.

Building materials licence (383) Service

A licence is required for placing building materials on any part of a highway. Licences are only issued in exceptional circumstances for any duration up to a month. The applicant can extend this before the granted licence expires.

Building warrants (1058) Service

The design and construction of buildings is controlled by ensuring Building Warrant applications comply with Building Regulations for most classes and types of building, whether public or private and includes houses, shops, leisure facilities, factories, warehouses etc. A Building Warrant application is required for the erection, change of use, alteration or extension of a building and is also necessary for the demolition of a property. It is valid for three years and construction work cannot begin before the Building Warrant has been approved. A statutory register of all building warrants must be maintained.

Bulky household waste collections (528) Service

Arrangements for special collections for large items such as furniture or items with special disposal requirements (e.g. refrigerators, tyres). The householder can usually book this service in advance and there may be a charge for the collection

Bus passes for disabled or older people (280) Service

A bus pass (or other travel concession) is available to local citizens if they are aged 60 and over, they are physically disabled, they have a learning difficulty or they would be refused a driving licence. Eligibility is automatic if the applicant is already in receipt of other services as a result of their age/disability.

Bus stops and shelters (637) Service

The local authority offers advice concerning the positioning of bus stop signs and bus shelters. The provision and maintenance of bus shelters is normally the responsibility of the local transport authority.

Business - business plans - advice (346) Service

Information and advice to local businesses on how to set up a successful business plan. May well include directing businesses to third party organisations which offer advice to business.

Business - exporters' forums (685) Service

The local authority provides information, advice and support to local businesses interested in developing export sales. The information provided could include networking and information gathering events, and information on grants.

Business - food production - hygiene (710) Service

Ensuring standards are maintained in all aspect of food production and distribution, animal health and agriculture. This may involve inspections, investigation of complaints and enforcement.

Business - food safety - risk assessment (410) Service

Risk assessments are a legal requirement for all food businesses. The local authority require a risk assessment to be carried out prior to registration of a food business.

Business - notification to council - employees (1037) Service

Business which employ any person or persons to work in a shop or office premises are required to notify the local authority.

Business advice (349) Service

Providing advice to new or existing businesses in the area on all aspects of running a business from starting a business to property, tax, employment law, business rates etc.

Business awards (690) Service

Awards made to local businesses by the council to disseminate the lessons learned from successful businesses - their skills, achievements and innovations provide valuable inspiration to the business community and help inspire business leaders of the future.

Business broadband campaign (864) Service

Project to make broadband internet services available countywide at an affordable price to businesses.

Business continuity advice (914) Service

Provision of advice on business continuity management in the event of a civil emergency to local businesses and voluntary organisations

Business co-operatives (351) Service

A co-operative is a way for two or more people to go into business together and reducing personal financial risk. The council can help set up a new co-operative in any sector or help existing co-operatives by providing advice and information on issues such as business planning, finding premises, legal advice, business information, suppliers etc.

Business directories (1036) Service

Provision of a directory which provides details of local businesses.

Business grants (350) Service

Providing business grants to new businesses, existing businesses who want to grow or businesses who want to move to the local area.

Business rate relief (55) Service

Business owners may be eligible for reductions in their business rates. Examples of reductions are transitional relief, empty properties, charity relief, rural rate relief and hardship relief. The council provides advice on eligibility for rate reductions and will provide application forms and process applications for reductions.

Business rates account enquiries (56) Service

Local businesses can apply to the council for information about their own business rates such as a statement of their account, details of their property valuation etc. New businesses must apply to the council for a valuation of their property and to set up a new business rate account.

Business rates annual notification (54) Service

Providing local business with information on who is required to pay business rates, how business rates are calculated for a property (valuation), how to pay business rates.

Business security advice (692) Service

Help and advice to businesses who seek assistance to secure their properties and upgrade security. This may include independent security risk assessments, help in conducting security surveys in conjunction with council grant schemes, information to businesses about developing crime problems, crime trends and criminal activity.

Business security grants (693) Service

Grants towards the installation of security systems for local businesses. Funding may be available to cover alarms, closed circuit television, security grills and shutters, security fencing, anti-ram posts, security landscaping etc.

Butchers shop licence (385) Service

From 1 January 2006, all retail butchers are subject to the EC hygiene regulations that apply to retail and catering businesses. These regulations include a requirement to operate HACCP-based food safety management procedures.

Calibration and testing (1046) Service

Businesses using weighing or measuring equipment for trade must ensure that it has been tested for accuracy and passed fit for such use by a weights and measures inspector or an authorised body.

Camping and caravan sites (1108) Service

Provision of camping and caravan facilities by local authorities

Canals and waterways (556) Service

Provision and maintenance of inland waterways. In the UK inland waterways are owned and managed by a variety of authorities. Most commonly it is British Waterways but some local authorities have responsibility for the maintenance of canals running through their area.

Car sharing (1111) Service

The local authority provides information about car pooling or sharing schemes.

Caravan site licence (743) Service

Land owners must not allow their land to be used as a caravan site unless it holds a valid site licence other than for certain exemptions such as; incidental use within the boundary of a dwelling house; sites approved by certain organisations i.e. caravan club etc; building and engineering sites; travelling show-people sites and sites occupied by the local authority.

Care - home assessment (316) Service

The home assessment scheme is designed to carry out an assessment to determine individuals who may need help overcome any difficulties with daily living tasks.

Care at home (242) Service

Care in your own home is offered to people who require assistance with personal care such as washing or dressing, or other practical daily tasks such as help with domestic chores like cooking and cleaning, or in some instances, help in managing finances.

Care needs assessment (209) Service

Needs assessment is a programme carried out by the local authority to try to establish the needs of an individual who requires help from social services and to arrange services to meet their needs. Following an assessment the appropriate services will be provided and a client file opened.

Careers advice (887) Service

Help for pupils who are about to leave school to choose a career or a further education/training course.

Carers support groups (298) Service

A list of recognised groups and organisations that provide advice and support for those who are caring for adults or children with special needs.

Caretaking (1142) Service

Councils provide caretaking services to residents of low-rise and high-rise council flats. These services include repair and maintenance, and the cleaning of communal areas such as lifts and hallways.

Catering, sales and vending (883) Service

Provision of catering services for functions or refreshments and vending facilities in public buildings.

Census information (367) Service

Publication of information from a national census or other surveys relating to the local area. The information published should not disclose any information about individuals resiments or households but should summarise details across the whole area or relevant sub-areas. In the UK published information is curmently from the 2001 national census.

Change of circumstances (370) Service

Providing information and advice on when and how local residents are required to notify the council about a change in circumstances which may effect their entitlement to other council services. Providing residents with a standard means of notifying a change of circumstances.

Change of housing tenancy (711) Service

Dealing with requests to change the terms of a tenancy for existing tenants. This covers transfer of tenancies, requests for joint tenancy, succession to tenancy.

Chaperone service (631) Service

A child taking part in a performance, which can include TV or filming, theatre, sporting activities or modelling, will require chaperoning. Chaperones employed by the local education authority should have passed all necessary checks for working with children

Child performance licences (48) Service

A licence is required for school age children to perform in the theatre or on television. Before granting a licence the Education Authority will liaise with the Headteacher of the child's school to ensure that the child's education will not suffer should that licence be granted.

Child protection (266) Service

The child protection scheme takes measures to safeguard vulnerable children and young people at risk or suffering from physical, emotional or sexual abuse. This involves investigating reports of suspected abuse and where appropriate applying for a Child Assessment Order, Care Order, Supervision Order or Emergency Protection Order.

Child protection orders (310) Service

The local authority can apply for an emergency protection order of 8 to 15 days to safeguard a child who may be in danger living at home.

Childcare out of school hours (19) Service

Out of school hours services for children, usually based in or near schools. The service is available to all families in the local area however local priorities for places may apply.

Childminders (21) Service

Information and support for those interested in becoming a registered childminder and those who are already registered. This may include training, grants and funding, ongoing support and information about setting up childcare.

Childminding (20) Service

Information on registered childminders and daycare facilities in the area for parents and caers of pre-school age children.

Children's centres (53) Service

Sure start children's centres are open to all parents, carers and children and provide provide early learning and full day care for pre-school children. They also provide help and advice on child and family health, parenting, money, training and employment to parents and carers.

Children's certificate (1069) Service Discontinued

Children under 14 are not allowed in bars in public houses or hotels unless a Children's Certificate has been granted. This allows them to sit at a table and have a meal at any time between 11am and 8pm in the area approved by the Licensing Board.

Children's hearings (1039) Service

A Children's Hearing is a lay tribunal of three members. It must not be wholly male or female and aims to have a balance of age and experience. One of the three panel members will chair the hearing. The hearing considers and makes decisions on the welfare of the child.

Children's Hearings - Supervision Requirement (1095) Service

If a Children's Hearing thinks compulsory measures of supervision are appropriate it will impose a supervision requirement, which may be renewed annually until the child becomes 18. The hearing has a wide scope to insert any condition in a Supervision Requirement, and the local authority is responsible for ensuring that it is implemented. In most cases the child will continue to live at home but will be under the supervision of a social worker. In some cases the hearing will decide that the child should live away from his home with relatives or foster parents, or in one of several establishments managed by local authority or voluntary organisations, such as children's homes, residential schools or secure accommodation. A hearing does not have power to fine the child or young person or his parents. All decisions made by hearings are legally binding on that child or young person.

Children's libraries (449) Service

The children's library service offers books and computer learning facilities for children. The library may also provide CDs and cassettes and there will often be organised activities during school holidays.

Children's panel recruitment (1040) Service

The Children's Panel makes vital decisions about vulnerable children in need of care or who have offended, at a Children's Hearing. Each hearing is a lay tribunal involving three members of the panel and must consist of at least one man and one woman. It should also where possible reflect a mix of ages and experience. The hearing is usually held in a relatively informal setting and is chaired by one of the panel members. The local authority provides information about how to become a children's panel member. In Scotland the children's hearings system relies on the involvement of around 2,500 volunteers who give their time and commitment to training and serving as children's panel members.

Citizenship ceremonies (852) Service

Ceremonies organised for individuals who have been granted citizenship. Attendance at the ceremony is the final step in the citizenship process and applicants for citizenship are required to attend to complete their application. Ceremonies are typically held at regular intervals and may be for groups of new citizens or for individuals.

Citizenship education (895) Service

Providing pupils with the knowledge, understanding and skills which prepare them to play an active role as citizens. Ensuring that pupils have a clear understanding of their roles, rights and responsibilities in relation to their local, national and international communities.

Civic recognition and awards (1045) Service

Recognising the outstanding achievements of individuals and groups and the contributions people make to life in the community in the form of civic recognition or awards typically at an annual awards ceremony.

Civil emergencies - flooding (793) Service

Providing advice and information on what to do in the event of a flood. The council may also provide equipment such as sandbags and engineering advice to help residents/businesses in the event of flooding.

Civil emergencies - gas pipelines (794) Service

Councils and their partners from the emergency services and public utilities have arrangements in place to respond to emergency incidents involving a major gas pipeline.

Civil emergencies - major accident hazards (792) Service

Councils have statutory and discretionary multi-agency plans to respond efficiently and effectively to a known potential hazards within its area. Agencies involved can include the Police, Fire and Rescue, Ambulance Service, utilities providers and voluntary agencies.

Civil emergencies - social and psychological support (729) Service

Provision of a range of social and psychological support services in the aftermath of a major incident affecting residents or visitors. The council will most probably work closely with voluntary and statutory agencies, so that the services they provide are complementary to those already available.

Civil funerals (875) Service

A civil funeral is a celebration reflecting the wishes of the deceased and their family. It is a personal and dignified tribute created by a professional celebrant who works closely with the family or executor and funeral director. The celebrant will aim to create a highly personal ceremony with the help of family and/or friends -recounting the person's experiences, attributes and qualities using music, poetry, readings and personal anecdotes. The civil funeral may be held anywhere except religious buildings and churches. The ceremony is appropriate for cremation or burial in a non-religious burial ground.

Clean Air Act approval (691) Service

The local authority is responsible for ensuring compliance with regulations such as those which control smoke emissions and the height of chimneys and those relating to the content and composition of motor fuels.

Client contact problems (232) Service

Procedures for dealing with an existing social services client who has gone missing or is out of contact for a period which gives cause for concern. The local authority will usually act jointly with the police in dealing with such incidents.

Clinical household waste (859) Service

Collection and safe disposal of household clinical waste. This includes items such as surgical waste, used syringes, drugs and pharmaceuticals.

Club premises certificate (646) Service

A club premises certificate is required by social, sporting or political members clubs in order to sell or supply alcohol and/or provide regulated entertainment, like musical performances or film screenings to members or guests.

Coastal events (760) Service

Provision of information and advice on events which may be ongoing or planned on waterways, in port/harbour areas or in coastal locations within the authority area.

Coastal protection (848) Service

Review and maintenance of coastal protection (sea walls etc.) within the local authority area.

Commercial clinical waste disposal (523) Service

Collection and safe disposal of clinical waste. This includes items such as surgical waste, used syringes, drugs and pharmaceuticals.

Commercial lettings (93) Service

Each local authority provides a list of properties or land currently available to let within the area.

Commercial property development (900) Service

A local authority may provide financial support to help develop and redevelop industrial and commercial land and buildings. Assistance is directed towards work which will create or enhance existing floor space, bring currently obsolete/vacant land and buildings into beneficial use and improve working conditions

Commercial waste bins (519) Service

Provision of bins for the collection of trade waste. Bins are usually offered in a variety of sizes to suit the requirements of all local businesses. Charges are determined by the number and size of bins required.

Commercial waste collection (517) Service

Provision of a regular commercial trade waste collection from local businesses. Businesses are required to provide a written description of their waste and ensure that it is packed in suitable containers.

Commercial waste disposal sites (520) Service

Disposal of commercial waste is the responsibility of the business owner. The local authority may provide sites which business may use (for a fee) to dispose of their waste. If available the authority will publish details of the location, opening times, terms and conditions of use and charges for the use of the sites.

Commercial waste special collections (522) Service

Any waste generated by a commercial organisation is the responsibility of the organisation to dispose of correctly. Advice on how to dispose of waste may be given by the council (including details of local organisations who offer waste collection services). The council may also provide a service which can arrange for special collections of large amounts of waste, bulky materials or confidential waste from commercial premises for a fee.

Commercial waste spillage (518) Service

The Council will deal with reports of spillages of commercial waste. Commercial customers are able to use either the service provided by the Local Authority or private contractor. Enforcement of appropriate regulations in respect of waste containment is the responsibility of the council.

Communal heating charge (122) Service

Communal heating charges for council properties are divided among all residents on an estate, the proportion is added to their rent account.

Communal housing repairs (140) Service

The local authority deals with repairs to communal areas within council accommodation such as communal lighting in a block of flats, or the communal drainpipes to a block of garages.

Communal lighting (566) Service

The local authority is responsible for repairs to communal areas in blocks of flats including stairs, door entry systems, communal lighting, landings, communal windows, courtyards and sheds.

Community alarms and Telecare (313) Service

The community alarm service provides peace of mind for people who feel at risk in their own homes. It is a 24 hour 365 day monitoring service which works via a special alarm unit connected to the telephone line. In the UK Telecare provides support to people in their own homes with the help of technology and community response services, allowing them to live more safely and independently. The equipment available is designed to assist a wide range of people, including older people, people with disabilities and carers.

Community assemblies and committees (719) Service

Publication of details of local assemblies and committees and the dates and venues for forthcoming meetings.

Community centres (1149) Service

Community Centres are a physical resource, which acts as a focal point for activities run by communities coming together through geographic proximity or because of a particular interest and/or identity. Centres provide meeting places for local interest based clubs and societies, venues for adult education classes and public meetings, offices for community projects, plus they also have many other uses. Centres would be lifeless buildings, lacking in character, if they were not 'owned' by communities. People provide the warmth, which makes centres welcoming to communities.

Community Councils - information (1043) Service

The primary purpose of community councils is to ascertain and express the views of the community to the local authority and other public bodies. Many community councils also involve themselves in a wide range of other activities including fundraising, organising community events, undertaking environmental and educational projects and much more.

Community engagement (366) Service

Community Engagement provides a link between local people, local organisations and decision makers. Physical or virtual meetings and dialogues provide an opportunity for local leaders to listen to the views of their communities and for local people to have their say.

Community facility grants (755) Service

Provision of grants for improvements to village halls and other local facilities subject to local terms and conditions.

Community farms (746) Service

Farms and smallholdings managed by the local authority on behalf of the community. Community farms provide an opportunity for children to learn about where food comes from and witness the hustle and bustle and all the elements of a working countryside farm within an urban setting.

Community fire safety (802) Service

The local fire authority will help residents and businesses minimise the risk of fire in their homes or place of work by providing advice on fire prevention and protection.

Community grants (871) Service

Funding made available to community or voluntary groups and organisations which are based in the local area and/or provide services to local people.

Community Reparation Orders (1096) Service

CROs are a low tariff order and will be confined to summary cases - i.e. crimes of a less serious nature that are heard without a jury in the district and sheriff courts. They focus specifically on making reparation for anti-social behaviour by providing 10 to 100 hours of unpaid work. CROs will expand the existing range of community disposals. Existing disposals with a restorative element are either high tariff, for example community service orders, or designed to deal with a specific group, such as supervised attendance orders for fine defaulters

Community safety (870) Service

Crime, fear of crime and anti-social behaviour is an important consideration for local communities. Various agencies, including the local council and police, work with the community to reduce crime and risks to safety and to maintain quality of life for people who live, work and visit the area.

Community service orders (1097) Service

In law community service is an alternative to custody. It offers offenders the opportunity to make reparation to the community for the offences they have committed by undertaking work for community groups and individuals who are unable for a variety of reason to carry out the work for themselves.

Community strategy (720) Service

Preparation of a community strategy to promote and improve the economic, social and environmental well-being of the local area and to contribute to the achievement of sustainable development. In Scotland legislation places duties on local authorities - to initiate, facilitate and maintain Community Planning. Local authorities have a duty to develop a comprehensive Community Plan along with relevant stakeholders to promote or improve the social, economic and environmental well-being of their areas and contribute to the achievement of sustainable development in Scotland.

Community support groups and organisations (297) Service

Information about recognised groups and organisations that provide advice and support for those who may be in need of community care such as the elderly, disabled or those with learning difficulties.

Community transport (272) Service

Provision of non-profit making transport for members of the community who do not have full mobility and therefore do not have suitable conventional public transport services available for their travel needs. Includes schemes such as 'dial-a-ride', shopmobility, community bus and car schemes.

Community wardens (1044) Service

Wardens deal with a range of quality of life issues, such as keeping neighbourhoods clean, removing graffiti and reporting any issues to the relevant organisations and authorities. The Wardens work with the Police and other agencies to help reduce crime, the fear of crime and all types of antisocial behaviour.

Complaints advocacy (645) Service

Provision of an advocate who can act on behalf of a customer who has made a complaint about one or more services provided by the local authority.

Complaints procedure (353) Service

Provision of a means for local residents and businesses to comment or complain about any of the services it provides. Complaints may be about the quality of the service, delays in providing the service, discrimination or the behaviour of council staff or council representatives.

Composters (535) Service

Provision of composters for recycling garden waste. These may be available to local residents free of charge or for purchase at a subsidised rate.

Compulsory property acquisition (714) Service

The council can be granted the power to buy or take rights over private property if it falls within a public or private construction project such as housing regeneration or a redevelopment area / project. Prior to issue of CPOs there should be a consultation and may be a public enquiry.

Conference, hall and meeting room hire (373) Service

Details on any venues the local authority may have available for private/business hire including the location, size, facilities available, cost and how to book.

Conservation area planning (512) Service

The local authority provide advice and consultation to local residents who are considering carrying out any works on or demolition of property within a conservation area. The authority can advise on the need for permission, their procedures, what should be submitted with an application and the matters that will be taken into account in deciding an application.

Conservation areas (511) Service

Councils have the power to designate as Conservation Areas, areas of special architectural or historic interest, the character or appearance of which it is desirable to preserve or enhance. It is the responsibility of the council to ensure that any new development should be sympathetic to the special architectural and aesthetic qualities of the area, particularly in terms of scale, design, materials and space between buildings. Councils have a statutory obligation to compile a list containing particulars of any area which has been designated as a conservation area which is available for public inspection.

Constitution (1291) Service

It is a legal requirement for a public sector organisation to have a constitution which sets out how the organisation will operate and the procedures that are followed to ensure that decision making is efficient, transparent and accountable to local people.

Construction site fire safety (811) Service

The construction of domestic, commercial and industrial buildings are bound by fire safety requirements including safe means of escape, internal/external stability, accessibility for fire equipment, containment of smoke/fire. The local fire service inspect premises to ensure compliance with all legislation.

Construction site pollution (417) Service

Advice and information for developers and for the local community on risks of pollution from construction work. The local authority will monitor construction work to minimise pollution caused by noise, dust and other nuisances.

Consumer advice (787) Service

Providing consumers with information and advice on minimum standards of buying and selling of goods and services.

Contaminated land (418) Service

Management of contaminated land including a register which is available for public inspection

Contracts lists (828) Service

Provision of a list of contracts for work to be undertaken on behalf of the local authority that are currently available for tender, or are coming up for tender.

Contracts management (829) Service

Management of contracts for goods or services provided by suppliers to the council.

Conveyancing (1285) Service

The Local Authority will carry out the necessary conveyancing to grant a title or to rectify an error in any title which they may have granted or which has been granted to them.

Cooling tower registration (707) Service

All premises where cooling towers and evaporative condensers are situated must register with the local authority.

Copy certificates (663) Service

Issuing of copies of a certificate for a birth, marriage or death that was registered in the area.

Council - commercial activities - equipment hire - civic events (1042) Service

The council may hire items of equipment for events ranging from marquees to flagpoles. Further information on the range of equipment available for hire can be obtained from our staff at the address below

Council - common good funds (1047) Service

Some local authorities and/or communities have 'Common Good Funds' which they can spend in prescribed ways for the benefit of the community.

Council car parks (478) Service

Car parks within the geographic boundaries of a local authority which are owned and run by the local authority. The authority may publish a list of the car parks, their locations and tariffs.

Council home modernisation (129) Service

Improvements to local authority owned and run properties to bring them up to current acceptable living standards. The improvements should include double-glazed windows, replacement kitchens and bathrooms, updated heating systems. All Councils have been set a target of raising the standard of all its properties by the year 2010 by the Government in England and Wales or by 2015 by the Scottish Executive in Scotland .

Council tax account enquiries (58) Service

The council tax service provides householders with information relating to their council tax and payments. This may include information on payments, arrears, discount eligibility etc. and copies of bills.

Council tax annual notification (57) Service

Council tax is payable on domestic dwellings and is charged by the local authority to pay for the services it provides. The council tax rates should be published each year together with information on how rates are assessed, eligibility, how to pay etc. The council should also provide information on how to appeal if you think your council tax bill is incorrect.

Council tax band reductions (61) Service

The local authority may give a band reduction in order to recalculate the amount of council tax payable if a permanently disabled person lives in a dwelling with certain features which are essential or of major importance to the well being of the disabled person.

Council tax benefit appeals (65) Service

A claimant who may be affected by a relevant decision regarding council tax benefit may request the local authority to revise its decision and also the independent appeals tribunal to consider the revised decision.

Council tax benefit backdated claims (62) Service

A claimant may be eligible for their claim to be backdated if there is a valid reason why they were unable to apply for their council tax benefit earlier

Council tax benefit current claim (64) Service

A claimant in receipt of council tax benefit is responsible for informing the local authority of any changes in their personal and financial circumstances which may affect their benefit.

Council tax benefit new claim (63) Service

A claimant may be eligible to claim council tax benefit if they are on low income or in receipt of income support or job seekers allowance.

Council tax benefit overpayments (66) Service

Where a claimant has been provided with a benefit greater than that to which they are entitled the local authority is required to inform the claimant and where necessary seek to recover the overpayment by issuing a revised council tax bill.

Council tax benefit renewal (67) Service

Local authorities may review the circumstances of anyone who is currently receiving housing and council tax benefit by issuing a change in circumstances form or by carrying out a visit.

Council tax discount (59) Service

Processing of requests and assessment of eligibility for a single person or other discount on their council tax.

Council tax exemptions (60) Service

The council tax exemption scheme may exempt unoccupied and occupied properties from council tax.

Council tenant advice (109) Service

A local authority will provide existing tenants with advice and assistance on matters such as rents, transfers, mutual exchanges and general matters relating to tenancy. This may also include advocacy where necessary.

Councillors declaration of interest (355) Service

Local councillors have to abide by a code of conduct part of which requires them to declare any interests, gifts or hospitality which they have or receive which could influence any decisions they may make as councillors. The local authority are required to publish these declarations.

Councillors directory (358) Service

The local authority provides general information on local councillors, including details of who they are, which area they represent and what they do within the council.

Councillors surgeries (357) Service

Councillor advice surgeries are available to the public who want to obtain information and advice, make a complaint or enquire about local authority services.

Counselling (163) Service

The provision of information on the availability and requirements of counselling services for individuals who have been identified as having particular needs to help sort through personal difficulties. These services may not be provided by the local authority.