LG Inform Plus
open left menu LG Inform Plus open top menu

Planning services Function

Allotments (510) Service

Plots of land for use to grow vegetables, fruit and flowers available for rent by local citizens. Water supplies, sheds/storage and skips are usually provided on allotment sites, car parking may also be available. The authority will determine the regulations concerning the use of allotments and is responsible for ensuring adequate security (fences etc.) is provided.

Conservation area planning (512) Service

The local authority provide advice and consultation to local residents who are considering carrying out any works on or demolition of property within a conservation area. The authority can advise on the need for permission, their procedures, what should be submitted with an application and the matters that will be taken into account in deciding an application.

Dangerous structures (600) Service

The local authority has a responsibility to deal with buildings which have become dangerous due to old age, deterioration or settlement, or by more dramatic causes. This includes procurement of construction work and consultants.

Demolition control (602) Service

Local authorities control demolition in the interests of safety and to ensure that any disturbance and/or inconvenience to the public and occupiers/owners of adjacent properties is kept to a minimum. Anyone wishing to demolish a building or part of a building is required to notify the local authority which will then normally issue a demolition notice specifying steps to be taken during the demolition works to ensure public safety.

Demolition enforcement (603) Service

The council deal with incidents of nuisance being caused as a result of demolition work. This includes noise, smoke and obstruction/damage to pavements and verges.

Demolitions - property assessment (128) Service

The local authority will continually review and assess housing conditions in the area to help determine which properties are unfit for occupancy or are abandoned.

Derelict properties (684) Service

Ensuring that long-term empty properties are secure and do not pose any risk to the public. In some circumstances the council may compulsorily purchase such properties for renovation or demolition.

Dropped kerbs (477) Service

The council may construct vehicle crossovers at the request of residents. Provision of crossovers may also include access protection markings which are white 'H' shaped lines painted on a road, in front of accesses to highlight dropped kerbs to other road users. There may be a charge payable for this service and in some locations, such as on major highways, planning permission may be required.

High hedges (1122) Service

Provided they have tried and exhausted all other avenues for resolving their hedge dispute, people have been able to take their complaint about a neighbour's evergreen hedge to their local authority. The role of the local authority is not to mediate or negotiate between the complainant and the hedge owner but to adjudicate on whether the hedge is adversely affecting the complainant's reasonable enjoyment of their property.

Land and property availability (593) Service

Information on residential and commercial land and property which is available for purchase or for rent in the local area.

Listed building consent (514) Service

A 'listed building' is a building, object or structure that has been judged to be of national historical or architectural interest. The council are responsible for considering applications to demolish a listed building or for any alteration or extension which would affect its character as a building of architectural or historic interest

Property enquiries certificates (1060) Service

When a property is being sold a solicitor will carry out conveyancing duties which normally include a property search. The local authority can carry out these searches and provide a Property Enquiry Certificate detailing issues relating to Planning, Building Control, Environmental Health, Housing, Roads, etc.

Property register (592) Service

Information about all publicly owned land and property which may be published or can be made available to the public on request.

Register of land (1786) Service

A local planning authority in England may prepare, maintain and publish a register of land within (or partly within) the authority's area. The criteria determining which land should be included may be determined by regulations.

Street names and numbering (513) Service

Legislation empowers the council to allocate statutory addresses. The council may, in relation to any street or road to which the public have access: (a) give such name to it as they think fit; (b) after advertising in a newspaper circulating in their area any proposal to alter its name and taking into account any representations thereupon made to them within 28 days after the date of the first publication of the advertisement, alter any such name; (c) affix, paint or mark its name on any premises, fence, lamp post, pole or other structure in it so as to be readily legible to members of the public there, and erect poles or other structures there for that purpose; (d) give each of the premises in it such distinguishing number as they think fit; alter that number when necessary; and require the owner of each of the premises, by notice served on him, to affix or paint that number on his premises so that it is readily legible from the nearest part of the public place giving access to the premises. Once statutory addresses have been allocated, postal services are notified for allocation of postcodes and emergency and other services are notified.

Tree management (505) Service

The local authority is responsible for the efficient management of trees in their ownership within urban and rural environments. This includes the maintenance and protection of trees on all council owned land and on streets and other paved areas to ensure the safety of the public.

Tree preservation orders (508) Service

Tree Preservation Orders are made by a Planning Authority. They are an effective means of protecting individual trees, groups of trees or woodlands whose removal would have significant impact on the public amenity of an area. They form a legal constraint permanently attached to the title of the land where the trees are located.

close menu