Access land A to Z

Open access land (1118) Service

Some areas of the countryside, whether publicly or privately owned, may be designated as 'access land' which is open to the public for leisure activities. In England and Wales access authorities have been appointed to manage the opening-up of Access Land to the public. The Access Authority is responsible for identifying potential areas of Access Land and enforcing the opening of these areas; it is also responsible for improving and maintaining access to Access Land, e.g. by installing new gates or causing obstructions to be removed. In National Parks, the Access Authority is the relevant National Park Authority; elsewhere, it is the local highway authority. The Countryside Agency is responsible for maintaining the definitive map of Access Land.